Dr. Peterson is a board-certified family medicine physician, specializing in the health and well-being of patients of all ages; from newborns to seniors and everyone in between. He earned his undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University and graduated in 2011 with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. Then he graduated from the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in 2015 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. He has practiced at Lone Peak Hospital, Life Care Center of Salt Lake City, and Foothill Family Clinic. Now Dr. Peterson is pleased to join Granger Family Medicine – West Valley City.
Dr. Peterson chose family medicine because of the wide range of care he would be able to offer in addition to the passion and humility exemplified by his mentors. He feels that a clinician’s most important tool is to listen and firmly believes in evidence-based medicine, staying up-to-date with best practice guidelines, and avoiding over-testing and over-treatment. He integrates a compassionate demeanor with the latest research and innovative technology to deliver the best possible patient care for each of his patients.
In his free time, Dr. Peterson enjoys studying the history of medicine, composing and playing piano music, and designing and playing board and video games with family. He is native of rural New Mexico and although he misses the green chile and balloon fiesta, he and his wife and kids have been happy to call Utah home.
- Specialty-level migraine care, including new preventative medication such as CGRP inhibitors, Botox for migraine prevention, and in-office procedures (e.g., nerve blocks for rapid migraine treatment)
- Treatment for substance use disorders using buprenorphine-naloxone (Suboxone), naltrexone (Vivitrol), and other medication-assisted therapies, including in-office treatment for alcohol and opioid withdrawal for appropriate patients
- Hepatitis C antiviral curative treatment and HIV PrEP
- Psychiatric care for pediatric and adult depression and/or anxiety disorders
- Pediatric ADHD
- Acne care, including treatment with isotretinoin (Accutane) as an iPledge qualified clinician
- Fibromyalgia diagnosis and treatment
- Women’s health procedures such as Nexplanon and IUD insertion/removal and pap smears
- Pediatric, adult, and senior/Medicare wellness visits
- Acute illness care and laceration repair
- Other services include chronic illness management (e.g., high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, etc.), sports injuries, skin biopsies and cryotherapy, trigger point injections, and joint injections
- Medical School
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine; Albuquerque, NM - 2015
- St. Mark's Family Medicine and Residency; Millcreek, UT - 2018
- Board Certified
- American Board of Family Physicians