Dr. Geeta Nagpal joins Granger Medical after relocating with her family from Chicago, IL. She is a board-certified anesthesiologist and pain management specialist. She started her higher education at MIT and went to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco. She then studied anesthesiology and pain medicine at two Harvard hospitals, Brigham and Women’s as well as MGH. After jumping from coast to coast during her education she landed in the Midwest where she started her career. She was at Northwestern University for nearly 11 years where she practiced interventional pain medicine and was an Associate Professor of anesthesiology and medical education.
Her interest in the field of pain medicine began with a genuine desire to maintain continuity with her patients and a passion for improving her patients function. Dr. Nagpal sees pain medicine as a rapidly evolving field with multiple opportunities to impact and improve a patient’s quality of life.
As an interventional pain specialist, Dr. Nagpal has focused her career on the diagnosis and treatment of patients with acute, subacute and chronic pain disorders. She uses a variety of techniques and modalities including nerve blocks, injection treatments, ablative therapies and medication management. She believes in a multimodal approach to the treatment of pain and is known by her patients and colleagues as compassionate, empathetic, and caring.
It is her pleasure to provide the framework of care to help manage painful conditions and improve a patient’s quality of life. She is enthusiastic about treating each patient on an individual basis to find areas treatment modalities to improve personal wellness. She believes there are a myriad of ways in which overall general health can be optimized for patients, which in turn can promote improvement in chronic pain. This, along with minimally invasive procedures, rehabilitation, non-opioid medications, creates the foundation of care that can be tailored to meet each patient’s needs.
Dr. Nagpal loves reading (historical fiction, short stories, poetry, beach reads, adventures, mysteries, everything!), running, relaxing, eating, laughing, traveling
Food: Anything spicy
Dr. Nagpal also enjoys spending her time with her husband, two daughters, and their fish, Croquet-Peanut.
- Lumbar epidural steroid injections
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar facet blocks
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar radiofrequency ablations
- Greater occipital nerve blocks
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Sympathetic nerve blocks (stellate, lumbar sympathetic, superior hypogastric, ganglion impar)
- Intercostal nerve blocks for post-thoracotomy pain, post-herpetic neuralgia, CA-related pain
- Small and large joint injections
- Bursa injections
- Spinal cord stimulator trials
- Genicular nerve blocks and ablation for knee pain
- Vertebral augmentation (kyphoplasty)
2011-2013 Clinical Instructor, Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
2013-2019 Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
2019-2022 Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
2019-2022 Associate Professor, Medical Education, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Midwest Pain Society: Board of Directors and President
Boston Pain Society: Board of Directors
American Board of Anesthesiologists: Vice Chair MOCA Minute Committee
Women’s Board of the Joffrey Ballet: Board of Directors
- Undergraduate Education
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Cambridge, MA - 2002
- Medical School
- University of California San Francisco; San Francisco, CA -2006
- Department of Medicine, California Pacific Medical Center; San Francisco, CA - 2006-2007
- Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Woman's Hospital; Boston, MA - 2007-2010
- Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital; Boston, MA - 2010-2011
- Board Certified
- Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine